I am always a work in progress... We never stop learning to master our craft.


Some of my favorite personal quotes..

"Everything I do, everything I am, all that I breathe is 18+ and will contain sexually suggestive material. ~ Gina Kincade 2011

"If you never have any expectations of other people then you will never be disappointed. When a positive experience occurs it is always a reason to rejoice." ~Gina Kincade, 2009

"I have learned, as a rule of thumb, never to ask whether you can do something. Say, instead, that you are doing it. Then fasten your seat belt. The most remarkable things follow." ~Julia Cameron

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Apostro-what?


Hello, my lovelies,

Today I bring you an article, by request of The Mistress herself, dealing with one particular punctuation mark - the apostrophe.

Now, many of you know what an apostrophe is and how it should be used, however, many more still use it incorrectly. This easy to follow guide should hopefully clear that up for you all and make everyone's lives easier!

First, what is an apostrophe? The obvious answer is a punctuation mark that looks like this: ' But what is it used for?

The apostrophe serves two main purposes. The first is used to indicate one or missing letters in a word and is often used to shorten one or more words into a single word. For example, does not becomes doesn't and cannot becomes can't. Are you with me so far? Good, because here is where things get just that little bit more complex.

The second use of the apostrophe is to indicate that something belongs to someone. Examples of this include Belthizor's article and the cat's whiskers.

See how the apostrophe can make a big difference? What frustrates me the most is when people fail to use the apostrophe appropriately. The simple way to avoid incorrect use is to slow down and think about what you're trying to write - is it belonging or missing? if it is neither, then don't use an apostrophe.

Now that I've cleared that up, I hope for your sakes that you follow my advice. I will not be very happy if I see things like "Theres no way out!" or "Those animals are cat's". Use an apostrophe, and make everyone happy.

Until next time, happy writing, and remember "Let's eat grandma" changes with the addition of a comma - "Let's eat, grandma". Punctuation - it saves lives!

Yours,

Lord Belthizor, Assistant Editor for Mistress Journals and Naughty Nights Press (NNP)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Lord Belthizor,

    That was wonderfully stated, alas I did come across an error within your blog...

    The apostrophe serves two main purposes. The first is used to indicate one or missing letters in a word and is often used to shorten one or more words into a single word.

    I wonder if you can spot your error, tut tut tut!

    *bites n kisses* and a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive